- Assistant Professor of Digital Humanities
- Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
- University of Miami
- Ph.D. University of California, Santa Barbara (Comparative Literature)
- M.A. University of California, Santa Barbara (Comparative Literature)
- B.A. Occidental College, (English and Comparative Literary Studies)
“The End is Near: Jarret Kobek’s I Hate the Internet and the Catastrophe of the Present,” Critique: Studies in Contemporary Fiction, December, 2019.
“Buenos Aires Libre: Redundancy, Risk, and Tactical Sharing,” Plat 7.0, September, 2018. Co-authored with Jeffrey Kruth.
“Flat Logics, Deep Critique: Temporalities, Aesthetics and Ecologies in Electronic Literature on the Web,” The Bloomsbury Handbook of Electronic Literature, ed. Joseph Tabbi, New York: Bloomsbury Press, 2017.
“The Medium is the Masses: Embodied Amplification, Urban Occupation,” Media Fields. Issue 10. August, 2015. Co-authored with Katherine Kelp-Stebbins.
“Alternative Sprawls, Junkcities: Buenos Aires Libre and Horizontal Urban Epistemologies,” Journal of Urban Cultural Studies 1.3, September, 2014.
- “Music and Torture: The Stigmata of Sound and Sense,” in Speaking About Torture. Co- translation with Zeke Sikelianos, New York: Fordham University Press, 2012.
Selected Presentations and Conferences
- “YOUR MILLION DOLLAR HOMES WILL SOON BE UNDER WATER: The Plastic City and the Catastrophic Urban Imaginary in Miami,” Association for the Study of the Arts of the Present Annual Conference, College Park, MD, October 9-12, 2019.
- Invited Panelist, “ARTiculating Sustainability: Resilience in the Climate Crisis,” IKT International Association of Curators of Contemporary Art, Miami, April 14th, 2019.
- Panel Organizer, “Doomsday Aesthetics,” Association for the Study of the Arts of the Present Annual Conference, New Orleans, October 18-20, 2018.
- “Panel: Mapping the Hyper-Connected City: Perils and Opportunities,” (invited panelist), Smart Cities Miami, University of Miami, April 6, 2018.
- “Mediating Magick: The Body as Technology in Contemporary Western Esoteric Practice,” Network for European Cinema and Media Studies, Paris, France, June 29-July 1, 2017.
- #CITY, ”Association for the Study of Literature and the Environment Biennial Conference, Detroit, MI, June 20-24, 2017.
- “Digital Ruins: Urbanmutation and the Mediation of Urban Decay,” Media Fields Biennial Conference, Santa Barbara, CA, April 6-7, 2017.
- “Magick, the Brain, and Biopolitics: Embodied Ritual and Technologies of the Resistant Self,” Society for Literature, Science, and the Arts, Atlanta, GA, November 3-6, 2016.
- “Digital Refusals: Advocacy, Resistance, and Radical Epistemologies in the Digital Humanities,” New Voices in DH, Center for the Humanities, University of Miami, October 28, 2016.
- “Monumental Capsules and Mobile Movements: Infrastructures and Exploits in Cleveland’s Urban Landscape,” co-authored with Jeffrey Kruth and Sam Friesema, Architecture, Media, Politics Society, “Bristol Debates,” Bristol, UK, April 1-3, 2016.
- • Digital humanities
- • Media and technology studies
- • Critical theory
- • Urban studies
- • Cultural geography
- • 20th and 21st Century Literature of the Americas
- • Theories of the body, biology and life
- • The intersection of geo-techno ecologies, literary texts and urban practices
- Professor Schifani is also a founding member of the research and design collaborative SPEC, whose focus is the future of the city, with particular attention to digitality, economy and urban speculation.